Match Results Grand Final Weekend

First XI – by Julian Black

Final Score Marcellin 7/290cc(J. Dinneen 156, J. Black 65, D. Tantsis-Hall 22,) def Mont Albert 103

(P. Devine 41, S. Fleming 3-21, J. Black 2-19, J. Dinneen 1-0, D. Howsam 1-9, 3 run outs)


Marcellin won by 187 runs

A wash-out on the first scheduled day of the B Turf Grand Final resulted in a Saturday/Sunday game on the 21st and 22nd of March. A warm Saturday at K Bartlett Reserve and the toss of the coin came down the right side for captain John Dinneen who had no hesitation in batting first. On a slow outfield openers Wedding and Tantsis-Hall got off to a solid start against some accurate bowling from Mont Albert. Wedding was the first to go in the ninth over after receiving the only ball of the day with some extra bounce and feathered it behind with the score on 14. This brought Bortolotto to the crease who along with Tantsis-Hall looked set for a big one, unfortunately he also tickled one behind with the score on 36. Tantsis played some powerful straight drives and saw off the opening bowlers to be not out at the first drinks break. Crough struck early after drinks bowling Tantsis around his legs for a well compiled 22. This left Marcellin at 3-42 with plenty of work to do. Dinneen and Black began the task of reaching tea with no further loss, however the scoring was slow and at tea the total was on just 70. After lunch the score moved on steadily with 3 to 4 runs an over with minimal risk. This changed in the 56th over when Chubba took on the wirely old veteran Hargreaves smashing four 4’s from the over and taking the overall score to 141. By the 75th over when Chubba was finally out for 156, Marcellin was in a strong position with 262 on the board. He shared in a 220 run partnership with Black (65) who was out the following over. Jock Donnellan, Damian Howsam and Mick Dinneen then played cameos towards the end scoring 5, 9 and 8 respectively. Mick was the last to go, run out, obviously thinking grounding his bat is an optional requirement when running between the wickets. Batsman Beazley, Fleming and Day not required. With Marcellin’s final score at 290 off the allotted 80 overs, the boys were quietly confident, however with the realisation the job was only half done, with a couple of dangerous and experienced batsman making up the Mont Albert batting line up.

Sunday saw a more comfortable day in the field with the big, fast, opening bowler Fleming using the southerly wind to advantage. He bowled an excellent opening spell conceding just 3 runs from his opening 6 overs, passing the bat on numerous occasions, unlucky not to pick up one or two. With the Mont Albert batsman struggling to score with tight bowling from Danny Day at the other end, they resorted to some very risky running between the wickets. The Marcellin fielders however did not take the opportunities presented to them initially; perhaps overly keen in attacking the ball. Not surprisingly the first wicket did eventually fall due to a run out, with Mick Dinneen gathering a difficult half volley and whipping the bails off to see R. Barker short of his ground for 15. The second wicket was also a run out, with Wedding extracting the stump from the ground with one hand while the ball was in the other. This was followed by the wicket of Wilton caught behind off the bowling of Black for 4. At 3 for 51 Mont Albert were looking to their captain Paul Devine who scored a ton in their semi-final victory over Mulgrave, to steer them home. He lost his partner Baker, bowled by Black for 4, with the score on 67, however he was looking comfortable and set for a big one. Enter Howsam. With tea fast approaching Howsie threw one up outside off stump which the captain had to have a go at. He could only get the edge of the bat to the ball and Mick, in perhaps his last appearance for Marcellin, accepted in front of first slip. As the boys got round Howsie there was genuine excitement for this was the big wicket we needed. Then on the stroke of tea Chubba brought himself on for an over. The traditional first ball wrong-un had the Mont Albert number 7 bamboozled, ball crashing into pad, loud appeal, raised finger, celebration, Marcellin with one hand on the trophy. With Mont Albert at 6-91 at tea, the crowd was building and there was a feeling that the end was soon.

Sticks was brought on quickly after the tea adjournment and results followed. He had Hargreaves caught at square-leg, then bowled number 10 Orchard without scoring. With Mont Albert at 9 for 92, everyone in the field was on their toes hoping to be the one to take the catch to finish off the game (with the exception of Mick who seemed to be cemented in the ground, ‘Move your feet Mick’). In the end it was Sticks who read the last rites to Mont Albert as Howsie accepted the catch at mid-on from his bowling. Mont Albert all out for 103 from 44 overs, completing a 187 run victory to Marcellin. Devine was the only batsman who contributed significantly for Mont Albert with a well made 41. Sticks was the pick of the bowlers ending up with 3 for 21 off 12 overs, supported by Black taking 2 for 19 off 11, Howsam 1 for 9 off 6 and Chubba 1 for 0 off 1. Other bowlers to bowl well without luck were Jock Donnellan with 0 for 23 off 8, Day 0 for 11 off 5 and Beazley 0 for 5 off 2. There were also three run outs. Chubba with his 156 was fittingly named man of the match. In the end a great team performance by everyone involved with the 1st eleven final and those who participated throughout the year.

Thanks also go to Joe (team manager and 12th man) for all his work in supporting the 1st eleven throughout the year which is much appreciated by all the players and Mrs Dinneen for doing the scoring in a number of games. Go Eagles in A Grade!

Second XI – By Julian Sakowski

Captain Sakowski lost the toss, and East Doncaster on a good looking Rathmines Road strip.  In a good performance, Marcellin bowled out East Doncaster for 150.  At stumps on day 1, the good guys were 3/65 in reply.

Wickets fell reasonably consistently through the innings.  All bolwers can be proud of the way they bowled consistently.  Anthony Waters and Tim Rush opened the bowling, and bowled a very good opening combination of 14 overs that yielded Waters the first wicket of the day.  Both lads could have had a few more wickets.  Unfortunately, over the course of the day we dropped 9 catches!!  To still bowl out the opposition for 150 reflects the good effort in the field by all.

Peter French bowled a couple of good spells, and continues his late season consistency.  But bowling honours for the day belonged to Captain Sakowski, who claimed 6/32 and broke the back of the East Doncaster innings.  20 of the runs scored against him came in 2 overs as different East Doncaster batsmen tried to break his concentration, but to no avail.  His remaining 17 overs cost him 12 runs!!  Sandeep Jakhar picked up a wicket with his spinners, with East Doncaster also looking to knock him out of the attack with some heavy hitting.  Sandeep deserves special mention for 2 excellent run-outs that he manufactured in the field – well done!!.

Bowling figures:

Waters 13-3-1-39, Rush 11-5-0-10, French 12-3-0-29, Sakowski 19.3-12-6-32, S Jakhar 6-2-1-31.

We then had to face 18 overs at the end of the day.  Dan Cimoli and Paul Dinneen got us off to a useful start before Cimoli tried to pull one and got a top edge, 1/13. Dinneen and Stuart Kemp looked the goods, taking the score to 43 before both fell to Vaughan in the same over, 3/44.  Rob De Maria and Dinesh Jakhar saw us through to stumps, with De Maria 11NO and Jakhar 6NO.

Unfortunately day 2 did not go our way, and we were dismissed for 134, thus losing the game by 16 runs.  Rob De Maria top scored with a well compiled 32.  Dinesh Jakhar was first man out on day 2, top edging an attempted pull shot, score 4/81.  Ron Murray followed 2 balls later.  Peter French joined Rob, and took the score to 103 before Frech was bowled for 11.  De Maria scorched a slash outside off stump to a wide ball to first slip who took a great catch, score 7/111.  The pressure was then on the tail, and while Anthony Waters made a good 18, it was not enough with both Rush and Sakowski out cheaply.


Cimoli 3, P Dinneen 20, Kemp 10, De Maria 32, D Jakhar 9, Murray 0, French 11, Waters 18, Rush 5, Sakowski 3, S Jakhar 0NO.

Captain Sakowski tried to manufacture an outright result, and sent East Doncaster back in to bat for 20 overs, but called the game with the score 1/45.

In summary, we had a very achievable target to attain, and could not put enough good scores or partnerships together. In effect, finals pressure got the better of us in chasing this mid-range target.

Notwithstanding, we had a great season, and developed a lot of good young cricketers.  Having 7 players under the age of 21 in the game provides good signs for the club.  The Grand Final was a close contest, and in reality, there was very little between the sides. On to C Turf next season!!